This page is arranged in alphabetical order of the names of the docks rather than geographical location. The docks in Birkenhead were built around a tidal inlet that was called the Wallesey Pool.
The map below shows the relationship between the various docks for which there are postcards in the collection apart from Grayston Rollo and Clover Docks which was situated to the south of Woodside Landing Stage and north of the former Cammell Laird shipyard.
Bidston Dock was built at the far West end of the Great Float and was opened in 1933 to handle mainly iron ore. The dock was closed in the late 1990s and used for landfill.
A group of docks were built close to the river and
the main body of water became known as The Great Float. It is split into two large docks - East Float and West Float that run approximately 2 miles from the Mersey
with over 4 miles of quays. The docks were an important flour milling centre with huge buildings most of which have now been demolished. The remaining warehouses
have been converted to apartments.
The Great Float is crossed by three road bridges; the Duke Street swing bridge divided East Float and West Float. At some time in the 1930s, the swing bridge shown below was replaced by a bascule bridge.
Grayson Rollo and Clover was a ship repair facility on the River Mersey. It closed in the 1980s after which the workshops were demolished and the graving docks filled in. The area has been redeveloped with apartments, offices and small business units.
Morpeth Dock was connected to the River Mersey via locks and also to the Great Float via Egerton Dock. The dock was completed in 1847 but has been disused for some years. Neither former access is available now so the dock is landlocked. Part of the site was filled in and is the site of a water treatment plant.
The postcard is captioned 'New Tranmere Docks' but I have consulted various friends and we are not sure exactly where this is. The best guess is that it is what is now the Cammell Laird Fitting Out Basin. That company took over the Tranmere Bay Development Company.
Vittoria Dock - sometimes incorrectly referred to as Victoria Dock - was completed in 1909. Between the 1920s and 1970s the dock was used by Clan Line Steamers Ltd. and Blue Funnel Line Ltd. It fell into disuse with the advent of container ships and the area is due to be redeveloped.