Other Mersey Docks
This page is arranged in alphabetical order of the docks rather than geographical location.
Dingle lies upstream of the Liverpool docks - just past the site of the Herculaneum Dock. Dingle had no docks but became a site for unloading oil from its jetties. The jetties are long gone and it is difficult to see exactly where they were on a modern map as there has been a lot of land reclamation. The site of the oil storage depots is now largely taken up by housing.
The port of Garston lies upstream of the Liverpool docks and close to the site of Liverpool Airport and originally served the salt trade.
Later the docks were very busy handling coal. The complex consists of three docks - Old Dock, North Dock and Stalbridge Dock.
The North Dock at Garston was completed in 1867 due to an increase in trade in the port.
The Garston Old Dock was the first to be built around 1850.
The Stalbridge Dock was opened in 1909 and is still in use to some extent.
The Manchester Ship Canal was built to take vessels into new docks built in Manchester. It opened in 1894, is 36 miles long and includes 5 locks lifting vessels about 60 feet above sea level. The entrance is on the River Mersey at Eastham and the termination is at Salford Quays. Usage had dropped steadily over time but there are plans to increase it again.
Port Sunlight is a model village built by Lever Brothers to house workers working at their new soap-making business. Located in what was at the time a marshy area adjacent to the River Mersey on The Wirral, it had its own private facilities at Bromborough Pool for landing the raw materials used in manufacture arriving at the Liverpool docks using the companies own barges and coasters. Materials were also transported to and from the company factories at Warrington. The facilities fell into disuse from the 1980s and the site was used for landfill. The site was redeveloped at a cost of £2.3M by the Land Trust and was opened to the public on 12 August 2014 as The Port Sunlight River Park. It includes wildflower meadows, grasslands, views of the Liverpool skyline and facilities for families and dog-walking.