Cape St Andrew
Cape St. Andrew was a steam cargo ship that was in service from 1928 until she was torpedoed and sunk in 1940.
Note: The flag at the top of this page has been re-constructed based on outlines in old books. It may not be accurate and will be updated if an authentic version comes to light.
Sun Shipping Co.Ltd
The following information is provided by courtesy of Middlemass - External Ref. #69
William Mitchell Cotts was a Scotsman who went to South Africa before the turn of the (20th) Century and established the Natal Collieries. These collieries needed a supply of pitprops and Baltic timber was imported in tramps owned by his Sun Shipping Co. Ltd. He surrered two war losses in WW1 with Julia Park 2900/94, purchased from Park Steamship Co. Ltd (J.Smith Park), Glasgow on 30 May 1916 and Lord Charlemont purchased from the Irish Shipowners Co. Ltd. (T.Dixon & Sons), Belfast on 19 April 1918. He also had at this time four tramps under his South African subsidiary British Africa Shipping & Coaling Co. Ltd. and half a dozen coasters trading under Thesen's Steamshp Co. Ltd under the South AFrican flag. He purchased three large WAR 'A' class as replacements in 1919 renaming them Cape of Good Hope, Cape Colony and Cape Natal but sole the trio in December 1920 to the Union Steamship Co. Ltd. of New Zealand. ......
After the death of Sir William Mitchell Cotts, his son Crichton Mitchell Cotts steered the Sun Shipping Co. Ltd. through the difficult 1920s and owned seven big tramps at the beginning of the Depression in 1930:
The latter pair (Cape St. Andrew and Cape St George) had been completed at the Duncan yard on the Clyde in March and June 1928.
- Cape Cross - ex-German prize ship Hans Wilhelm Hemsoth
- Cape St Agnes - ex War Briton
- Cape St. Columba - ex Carlow Castle
- Cape St Francis - ex Sutlej
- Cape St. Andrew
- Cape St. George
Funnels on Sun Shipping vessels were white with a black top. Hulls were black with red boot-topping. ("Boot Topping" is the area of a ship's hull between the light and full load waterlines. In other words the area that is immersed or exposed depending on whether the ship is laden or not.)
Mitchell, Cotts & Co head office was at Winchester House, Old Broad Street, London EC2.
The Sun Shippping Co. Ltd. head office was at 3 St. Helen's Place, London EC3.
|Registered owners, managers and operators||Owners: Sun Shipping Co.
Managed by: Mitchell Cotts & Co
|Builders||R Duncan & Co|
|Engines||Triple Expansion steam engine with cylinders of 26", 44" and 73" bore and stroke 48".|
|Engine builders||D.Rowan & Co. Ltd.|
|Boilers||3 single-ended boilers operating at 200psi|
The Lloyds Register entry for Cape St. Andrew for 1940-41 has the following additional information about her:
- Two steel decks
|10 February 1928||Launched|
|March 1928||Completed for Sun Shipping Co.|
|13 November 1940||Sunk by torpedo|
I have not found any specific information about the service history of Cape St. Andrew prior to WW2.
Cape St Andrew took part in many convoys and independent voyages during WW2 according to information shown in the table below which is provided courtesy of Convoyweb - see External. Ref. #4.
|Immingham, Sep 24, 1939||FS.10 (Methil - Southend)||Southend, Sep 26, 1939|
|Southend, Sep 27, 1939||OA.11 (Southend - Dispersed)||Cardiff, Sep 30, 1939|
|Cardiff, Oct 11, 1939||Independent||Milford Haven, Oct 12, 1939|
|Milford Haven, Oct 13, 1939||OB.18 (Liverpool - Dispersed)|
|Independent||Capetown, Nov 10, 1939|
|Capetown, Nov 11, 1939||Independent||Durban, Nov 14, 1939|
|Durban, Nov 15, 1939||Independent||Lourenco Marques, Nov 17, 1939|
|Lourenco Marques, Nov 18, 1939||Independent||Djibouti, Dec 6, 1939|
|Independent||Aden, Dec 22, 1939|
|Djibouti, Dec 22, 1939||Independent|
|Freetown, Feb 1, 1940||SL.19 (Freetown - Joined Sl 19f)|
|Freetown, Feb 5, 1940||SL.19F (Freetown - Liverpool)||Liverpool, Feb 20, 1940|
|Methil, Mar 8, 1940||MT.26 (Methil - Tyne)||Tyne, Mar 9, 1940|
|Tyne, Mar 23, 1940||FS.127 (Tyne - Southend)||Southend, Mar 25, 1940|
|Southend, Mar 27, 1940||OA.118 (Southend - to OG 24F)|
|OG.24F (to AT SEA - Gibraltar)||Passed Gibraltar, Apr 4, 1940|
|Passed Gibraltar, Apr 4, 1940||Independent||Port Said, Apr 12, 1940|
|Suez, Apr 17, 1940||Independent||Aden, Apr 22, 1940|
|Aden, Apr 22, 1940||Independent||Bombay, May 3, 1940|
|Bombay, May 8, 1940||Independent||Aden, May 15, 1940|
|Aden, May 15, 1940||Independent||Suez, May 20, 1940|
|Port Said, May 26, 1940||Independent||Oran, Jun 3, 1940|
|Oran, Jun 4, 1940||Independent||Gibraltar, Jun 6, 1940|
|Gibraltar, Jun 8, 1940||HG.33 (Gibraltar - Liverpool)||Downs, Jun 17, 1940|
|Southend, Jun 18, 1940||FN.199 (Southend - Methil)||Hull, Jun 19, 1940|
|Hull, Jul 8, 1940||FN.217 (Southend - Methil)|
|Independent||Nuevitas, Jul 29, 1940|
|Nuevitas, Jul 30, 1940||Independent||Guantanamo, Aug 1, 1940|
|Guantanamo, Aug 7, 1940||Independent|
|Puerto Padre, Aug 14, 1940||Independent||Nuevitas, Aug 15, 1940|
|Nuevitas, Aug 21, 1940||Independent||Bermuda, Aug 26, 1940|
|Bermuda, Aug 27, 1940||BHX.69 (Bermuda - Jd HX 69)|
|HX.69 (Halifax - Liverpool)||Methil Roads, Sep 13, 1940|
|Methil, Sep 14, 1940||FS.281 (Methil - Southend)||Middlesbrough, Sep 15, 1940|
|Middlesbrough, Oct 24, 1940||FN.316 (Southend - Methil)||Methil, Oct 25, 1940|
|Methil, Oct 27, 1940||EN.13/1 (Methil - Oban)||Oban, Oct 31, 1940|
|Oban, Nov 9, 1940||OB.240 (Liverpool - Dispersed)|
According to uboat-net - External Ref. #3:
At 21.08 hours on 13 Nov, 1940, the unescorted Cape St. Andrew (Master Albert Roy Bebb), a straggler from convoy OB-240, was torpedoed by U-137 west-northwest of Aran Island. The ship was taken in tow by the rescue tug HMS Salvonia (W 43) (Lt G.M.M. Robinson, RNR) and escorted by HMS Hurricane (H 06) (LtCdr H.C. Simms, RN), but foundered the same day. The master, 13 crew members and one gunner were lost. 52 crew members and one gunner were picked up by the tug and landed at Greenock.
The table below lists the merchant seamen lost when Cape St. Andrew was sunk and is derived from the Tower Hill memorial and the Commonwealth War Grave Commission's "Debt of Honour" database.
Note: One of those lost was George Witten. A web page of his recollections and details of his life are under preparation as part of the Benjidog Recollections website and will be linked to from here when published.
|Surname||Forenames||D.O.D.||Rank||Cemetery/Memorial||Grave Ref.||Additional Information|
|Amin Ullah||13/11/1940||Seacunny||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 52|
|Azam-Ud-Din||13/11/1940||Fireman||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 39|
|Bebb||Albert Roy||13/11/1940||Master||Tower Hill Memorial||Panel 23.||Age 33|
|Chandu Mian||13/11/1940||Greaser||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 34|
|Ganpat||13/11/1940||Topass||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 25|
|Moklesh Ullah||13/11/1940||Fireman||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 21|
|Nazir Ahmad||13/11/1940||Seaman||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials|
|Nazir Anwar Ali Ahmad||13/11/1940||Cassab||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 42|
|Reid||Roger Anthony Lyon||13/11/1940||Third Radio Officer||Tower Hill Memorial||Panel 23.||Age 24. Son of James Reid, and of Mary Bridget Reid, of Lurgan, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. His Brother Felix Joseph Gerrard Reid Also Fell.|
|Sayid Ullah||13/11/1940||Greaser||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 26|
|Shera-Ul-Haq||13/11/1940||Seaman||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials||Age 41|
|Shiraz-Ul-Haq||13/11/1940||Greaser||Bombay / Chittagong 1939-1945 War Memorials|
|Steele||John Thomas||13/11/1940||Chief Officer||Tower Hill Memorial||Panel 23.||Age 50. Son of John and Elizabeth Steele; Husband of A. Steele, of Wallsend, Northumberland.|
|Turner||William Hubert||13/11/1940||Third Mate||Tower Hill Memorial||Panel 23.||Age 44|
|Wilson||John||13/11/1940||Fifth Engineer Officer||Tower Hill Memorial||Panel 23.||Age 20. Son of John and Elizabeth Wilson, of Hull.|
|Witten||George||13/11/1940||Chief Engineer Officer||Tower Hill Memorial||Panel 23.||Age 68. Son of Richard and Jane Witten; Husband of Henrietta Thirza Witten.|
- By courtesy of City of Vancouver Archives - item CVA 447-2071
- From the Benjidog Tower Hill Memorial Website