Legal and Copyright
The Allen Collection belongs to the Martello Tower Museum at Pembroke Dock which has given permission for the photographs to be made available in the current form for research and educational purposes only. The Museum is unable to provide advice and guidance about copyright.
The project team attempted to get the consent of copyright holders to use this material. For nearly all of the photographs in the collection there is no information available to identify the copyright owner. In the few cases where names are available, a thorough search was made using telephone directories, 118 enquiries, photographic copyright directories, People Search and Google Area Search. None of the copyright owners could be traced in this way and we believe we have exhausted all reasonable avenues.
Advice was sought from many experts including the following:
- Liverpool Merchant Navy Museum
- Docuwatch at Reading university
- The Royal Photographic Society
- The National Maritime Museum
- Photographic publishers Exeter
The consensus opinion of these authorities was that if any two of the following situations applied we would be deemed to have taken sufficient action to avoid infringing copyright laws:
- Reasonable efforts made to contact the copyright holder have been fruitless
- No financial gain will be made in relation to the photos
- The archive is used for research or educational purpose
- A letter of comfort is obtained from present owner of photos
- There is a proviso included stating that if offence is caused document will be removed
All the above conditions have been met and the website owner undertakes to remove any photograph from the website should offence be caused.
If you wish to use text from this website on another site, you are welcome to do so as long as you acknowledge this site as the source and provide a link to this Allen Collection website. Plagiarism (claiming the work of others as your own) is both loathsome and degrading.
- Few people object to photographs being used for research or educational purpose
- Photographs may not be used for any commercial purpose without the approval of the copyright owner. It is the responsibility of anyone wishing to use any photograph from this site for commercial purposes to establish the copyright position BEFORE using it. The Martello Tower Museum and the website owner are not able to assist in this respect.