Arlington Court (1905)
The name Arlington Court was used by Court Line for three ships:
- A cargo ship launched in 1905 described on this page
- A cargo ship launched in 1924 and described HERE
- A cargo ship launched in 1962 and described HERE
Aldington Court (1905) was Haldenstein & Co. Ltd.'s first tramp steamer. She survived being torpedoed in WW1, was in service for 28 years and finally scrapped in 1933. I will refer to her simply as Arlington Court on the rest of this page.
|Registered owners, managers and operators||Court Line Ltd.
Managers Haldinstein and Co
|Builders||R. Stephenson & Co. Ltd.|
|Call sign||GJGB (as Essex Knoll)|
|Engines||3 cylinder triple-expansion steam engine|
|Engine builders||Blair & Co. Ltd.|
|14 Oct 1905||Launched|
|1915||Managers restyled Haldin & Co. Ltd.|
|28 Sep 1914||Requisitioned as RN Collier No 338|
|1916||Sold to G.H.Mitchell & Co.|
|14 May 1917||Torpedoed|
|1918||Transferred to W.J. Williams for management|
|1919||Sold to Soc. Anon A Parodi and renamed Zovetto|
|1925||Sold to Cia. Nav. Rivabella S.A. - World Shipping and Oil Transport Co. Ltd. London Managers), Panama and renamed Robertina|
|1927||Sold to Essex Line Ltd - Managers Meldrum & Swinson and renamed Essex Knoll|
|Jan 1933||Arrived in Venice for scrapping - broken up at Pola|
According to Middlemiss - External Reference #4, Arlington Court sailed on her maiden voyage under Captain S.H. Jones:
She traded worldwide under Captain Robert Rooks throughout 1914 when taken on six months time-charter by the German Gans Line to carry cotton from New Orleans and Mobile to Europe. She then loaded coal in the Tyne for Marseilles in early July, and was requisitioned at Cardiff on her return.
No further information is currently known about her pre-war service.
Arlington Court was used to transport various cargoes during the war:
- As a Royal Navy Collier from 28/9/14 - 22/12/14
- Transportation of sugar and coal from 7/11/15 -13/12/15
- Transportation of timber from 11/3/16 till 2/9/16
- As a Royal Navy Collier again until 8/9/18
- Transportation of wheat from the USA and Australia until mid 1919
External Reference #4 provides the following additional information:
Arlington Court was ordered to proceed to Abrolhos Rocks off the coast of Brazil to rendezvous with the South Atlantic fleet under Admiral Craddock. She arrived there on 27 October 1914, but the fleet was far away engaging a German squadron at Coronel off Chile, She waited until 6 November when orders were received to proceed to an anchorage 3 miles outside the English Bank lighthouse in the Plate. Here the loss of the British warships was learnt, and the Hain Line tramp Tregurno advised them to move back to Abrolhos to bunker the auxiliary cruiser Orama. The ships were made fast to each other while bunkering was taking place, but the rough sea made them roll heavily with frequent small collisions under water. No leaks were found on the tramp and she set sail for the Falklands to bunker the battlecruiser Invincible - a member of the victorious British squadron at the Battle of the Falklands.
She then came off charter and voyaged to Karachi to load wheat. She was given an 12-pounder as defence against submarines but due to the shortage of these guns it was taken off at Gibraltar and a 3-pounder substituted. Her speed was down to 5.75 knots due to marine growth, and when a periscope was sighted travelling along the port side of the tramp only 200 yards away the worst was feared as the 3-pounder could not be depressed sufficiently to take aim. Amazingly no attack was made and Liverpool was safely reached early in 1916. Later that year on 30 October she was chased by a U-boat 50 miles SW of Cape St. Vincent but used her gun to good effect to escape. However she was torpedoed on 14 May 1917 off SW Ireland but was towed in and repaired. She was shortly afterwards sold to the Mitchell Steamship Co. Ltd. with W.J. Williams as manager and renamed Penylan after a suburb of Cardiff.
Currently little information is known about her usage between the end of WW1 and her being scrapped in 1933, but as can be seen in the Career Highlights section, she changed ownership and name several times.
- By courtesy of the collection of Giorgio Spazzapan.