Kaye, Son & Co. of London was founded in 1893 by Frederick Kaye. It traded from a London office as shipping agents and provided services in steamer management,
coaling and insurance. It became a limited liability company in 1905. Frederick's son Sydney took over as Managing Director in 1918, with his father as chairman
and the company opened a Liverpool office in 1918. The Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. and Furness Withy & Co. Ltd became major shareholders. The 'K' Steamship
Co. Ltd was incorporated in 1919 and three steamers acquired. A further subsidiary 'Kaye Steam Navigation Co. Ltd' was formed in 1922 with further ships.
Frederick Kaye died in 1924 and his son becoming chairman. In 1926 the trading rights of R.P. Houston & Company in the UK/River Plate trade were acquired and
the Liverpool office thereafter traded as R.P. Houston & Co. Ltd. The building of ships was financed by a partnership between Kaye, Son & Co. Ltd and the
shipbuilders in the jointly owned Walmar Steamship Co. Ltd.
In 1930 another new company, The Kaye Transport Co. Ltd was formed. In 1934 The Coolham Steamship Co. Ltd was set up, and in 1937, the Marconi Steamship Co. Ltd.
The company ran a regular liner service between the UK and the River Plate and managed the Jamaican vessels of the Jamaica Direct Fruit Line Ltd. It maintained an
interest in worldwide trade and general tramping.
Sydney Kaye died in 1941 and his son Marsden in 1952. After that there were no further family members in the management. The company entered tanker operation
in 1961 through the newly formed Kaye Tanker Management Co. Ltd.
In 1973 Kaye & Son was absorbed into the Furness, Withy Group. The Kaye connection ended with the sale of tanker 'Kayeson' in 1981
Cylinders of bore 24 1/2/2, 39", 70" and stroke 48"
N.E. Marine Eng Co (1938) Ltd
Engine Builder Works
Engine Builder Country
Additional Construction Information
Fitted with radio direction finding and echo sounding equipement
3 April 1946
Crew and Capacity Information
Status and Service History Information
Service History Information
Change of name to Star Pink and owner to Wing Tak SS Co (Hong Kong) Ltd 1962, change of name to Ocean Pink
1966, change of name to Maria Ana and owner to Pac-Trade Nav Co 1967, change of name to Velta and owner to
Velta Cia Ltda 1969. The vessel foundered at approximate position 32° 07' N, 23° 26' W on 13 February 1971 whilst en route from Macapa to
Bilbao with a cargo of manganese ore.
The vessel was sunk on 23 May 1942 by a torpedo and gunfire from German submarine U-588 at position 39° 00' N, 68° 00' W.
Details of the casualties can be found on the Benjidog Tower Hill website
HERE. She was en route from New York via Trinidad for Alexandria with military stores.