Organisation of Material
There are two pages for the Liverpool North Docks system with a link to the next and previous pages at the end of each page. The first page includes information about the geography of the system. Docks are shown in order from north to south but not all docks are represented in the collection.
Sandon Dock and Sandon Half-Tide Dock
Opened in 1851, what became the Sandon Half-Tide Dock was originally part of both Sandon Dock and Wellington Half-Tide Dock, which connected directly to the Mersey via a narrow lock entrance. At the turn of the 20th century, Sandon Dock was redeveloped and an enlarged half-tide dock created, with two larger locks built either side of the original entrance. Various other docks could be accessed via lock gates. Sandon Dock was later filled in and the site developed for sewage treatment.
Salisbury Dock
Salisbury Dock is connected to Nelson Dock to the north, Trafalgar Dock to the south and also to Collingwood Dock. Like the other docks in this part of the system, it was designed by Jesse Hartley and opened in 1948. It served as a half-tide dock being connected to the River Mersey via two locked entrances and also provided access to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The dock was the principal hub for coastal and barge traffic in Liverpool by the mid-twentieth century. The dock is also subject to redevelopment as part of the Liverpool Waters project.
Stanley Dock
Stanley Dock was designed by Jesse Hartley according to most online sources and was opened in 1848. However the design is also claimed for his son, John Bernard Hartley.
Stanley Dock is connected to Salisbury Dock to the East and a series of locks connect it to the Leeds and Liverpool canal system. A bascule bridge spans the water passage between Collingwood and Stanley Docks. The dock is the focal point of the Stanley Dock Conservation Area and there are plans to convert the old warehouses into office spaces and apartments. The centre of the old tobacco warehouse is being dug out to created a courtyard garden.
Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse, is a grade II listed building and is the world's largest brick warehouse. Standing 125 Ft. high, the building was at the time of its construction in 1901, claimed to be the world's largest building in terms of area. The 14 storey building spans across 36 acres and its construction used 27 million bricks, 30,000 panes of glass and 8,000 tons of steel. The overall design is by A.G. Lyster, the Dock Engineer, but Arthur Berrington almost certainly played a part. The warehouse was a late addition to the Stanley Dock complex and was built on land reclaimed from the dock.
Waterloo Dock
Waterloo Dock was opened in 1834 and named after the famous battle. In 1868 is was split into separate basins - East Waterloo Dock and West Waterloo Dock. The dock is connected to Victoria Dock in the North and Princes Half-Tide Dock to the South. The dock was closed to shipping in 1988 and the extensive Waterloo Warehouse converted into residential apartments.
Princes Half-Tide Dock
Princes Half-Tide Dock is connected to the East Waterloo Dock and West Waterloo Dock to the north and Princes Dock to the south. It opened in 1810 and provided a lock entrance to the Mersey. The passage is now closed off and the area is being redeveloped. A 60-storey building to be called Shanghai Tower will be built on this site.
Prince's Dock
Prince's Dock was named after the Prince Regent and opened on the day of his coronation as George IV in 1821; it was accessed via George's Dock. It became disused after 1981 and is now within a large development area of apartments and hotels with large parts of the dock being filled in. The dock is now connected to an extension of the Leeds and Liverpool canal and there is access to the Mersey via a tunnel leading to the Pier Head area.
